Thursday, October 21, 2010

MUCH ADO ABOUT PHOTOS - PART 1

Until some months ago, I never did have much to do about photos. I had to take photos to remind me of places that I have been, people that I have met and things that I have seen. The need to do so have become more and more serious when I have been told by my dear beloved that I have an atrocious memory of places.

There was one time when Liew and I were with some friends talking about holidays in China. It was the Landmarks Hotel next to Hard Rock Cafe and since these friends were also staying at the same hotel in one of their holidays, I just went on and on regarding the beautiful shopping arcade that was situated at the end of a foyer.

There is a meander corridor at the end the of the foyer, before opening up to a double storey arcade where you find little quaint shops that sells everything... I mean everything from trinklets to big antique vases. It was mind blowing. Liew being Liew just let me rattle on and on without the least interruption..... and can you imagine the picture. Here is Mimi Lew -- non-stop and without brakes! Kept babbling about things I should have bought.

Our dear & puzzled friends (a couple) were fully taken back by the whole conversation and the wife started to blame the husband for not allowing her to wander off and miss all that wonderful shopping. I was ultra high...... swept away by my own talk.

When we left, Liew said that I have 'CONNECTED" the shopping arcade of a totally different hotel in a totally different city to the foyer of Landmark Hotel. Even mention the city and hotel..... I was dead certain he was wrong. Liew further said I could have impress the world if I am a housing contractor or building developer becos the description of the arcade was so clear to every floor. You would have thought I was the architect and designed the whole "shopping arcade" myself.

Until today I am half -believing in my own version that I am correct cos I am not so sure anymore. The way that I have so described the place has also done the job to half convince me that Liew may be wrong. But in retrospect, he is hardly wrong with places and directions.. so it is going to be left "open and unresolved" until I check in to Landmarks again la. Liew probably would have wanted me to believe in myself so that I would not push him to visit Landmarks again and to "prove a point".

Did I clarify with these friends after that?? No...o - we didn't cos we have yet to meet up again after all these years. Sometimes, I wonder whether the missus is still blaming the poor husband of a "lost opportunity in shopping".  On second thoughts, maybe NOT cos he would have silently blessed his lucky stars for enabling him to save all that money....."rather hurt the ears than hurt the pocket anyway"...

From that day onwards, I made another resolution: make notes on to photos like Andrew, our dear dear friend did on all the beautiful photos of his babies. That's making resolutions that long ago. No joke - the babies are now young boys, attending all those extra curriculum activities and I have yet to do all that labelling althou it has stayed in my mind like ink.

I do have hundreds or maybe thousands  of photos taken since then but none with little "label notes" to jolt this woman's memory. .. anyway, that's another story again.

No comments:

Post a Comment